Mexican Salsa Veggie Burgers
|Prep time||15 minutes|
This meatless dish is hearty and reminiscent of restaurant-style refried beans – especially if served alongside brown rice. If you like spicy, mix a pinch of cayenne pepper into the burgers or add diced jalapeno pepper to the salsa.
- FOR BURGERS:
- 1⁄2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 T fresh lime juice (from 1/2 lime)
- 1 cn Libby's® Organic Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 t cumin
- 1⁄2 t oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄3 c oatmeal
- 1⁄4 c (from 15 ounce can) of Libby's Whole Kernel Sweet Corn, drained
- 1 large egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 t canola oil
- FOR SALSA:
- Libby's® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn (remainder of 15oz can)
- 1⁄4 c fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 c cherry tomates, halved
- 1⁄2 c green or orange bell pepper (about 1/2 pepper)
- 1⁄4 c cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
For burgers, place onion and lime juice in food processor or blender; process until mixture is finely chopped. Add beans and chop for a few seconds (do not over process.)
Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Mix in cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Add egg white and mix gently with fork until just blended. Stir in oatmeal and ¼ cup corn until lightly blended (mixture will be very moist.) Form into eight 2-inch wide patties.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Carefully place four burgers in skillet; cook about 4 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Remove to plate and keep warm while cooking remaining burgers.
For salsa, mix together all ingredients and serve ¼ cup on top of each burger.
Credit: Deanna Segrave-Daly, RD, LDN